Friday, December 2, 2022

Alix Strauss / Mark Braly

At 86, Mark Braly may be the world’s oldest water polo player. And according to Mr. Braly, a Texas native who now lives in Davis, Calif., he’s “certainly the worst.” 

“I sometimes make goals, but there is always the suspicion they were the gift of a kind goalie,” Mr. Braly said. “Every player in the region knows my name because they have to shout constant directions.”

What have you learned about yourself through the sport? That I can accept praise and support and not feel diminished by it. That I can do almost anything if I don’t mind not being good at it. Being forced to be good at something has excluded me from doing things all my life. I learned I’m more capable and have a greater stamina than I thought.


"It's Never Too Late to Take Up Water Polo" August 2022
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/08/style/water-polo-aging-elderly.html